T

he Marigny Opera House a non-denominational, neighborhood church of the arts. Our mission as a church is to

celebrate the arts as a common spiritual bond among all people.

We offer Sunday Musical Meditations and host weekly 12-step meetings in addition to hosting arts, community and religious events. The church is supported by the Marigny Opera House Foundation, a non-profit organization whose mission is to support the work of local performing artists. The Marigny Opera House is occasionally available for a limited number of wedding ceremonies.

History

The church building was originally Holy Trinity Catholic Church, which was founded in 1847 for German Catholics of the Faubourg Marigny. Constructed in 1853, the church was designed by architect Theodore Giraud. The church was widely admired for the quality of its music. In 1997 the parish was relocated and the building deconsecrated. Scott King and Dave Hurlbert purchased the building  in July 2011, with the vision of restoring the historic building and offering it as a resource to the community, and the building was renamed “The Marigny Opera House.”

Timeline

1847

1847

Rev. J.M. Masquelet purchased property at the corner of Dauphine and St. Ferdinand streets for $3000. Commissions design by architect Theodore Giraud.
1848

1848

Holy Trinity Church is dedicated as a German parish.
1851

1851

Fire destroys the church.
1853

1853

Rev. Matthias Schifferer rebuilds Holy Trinity.
1866

1866

Rev. Schiffler dies from yellow fever and is succeeded Rev. Ignatius Scheck as pastor and Rev. Peter Thevis as assistant.
1868

1868

Rev. Ignatius Scheck died from yellow fever
1868

1868

Rev. Thevis prays to St. Roch, vowing to build a chapel in his honor if the Holy Trinity congregation is spared. No one died and Father Thevis completes St. Roch Chapel in 1873.
1871

1871

Benedictine Sisters come to New Orleans from Kentucky to operate Holy Trinity School.
1876

1876

Rev. Thevis establishes St. Roch Cemetery.
1893

1893

Rev. Thevis dies and is succeeded by Rev. John Francis Prim.
1910

1910

Holy Trinity School becomes a free parochial school
1938

1938

Rev. Prim dies and is succeeded by Rev. Herman Hammerstein.
1947

1947

Rev. Hammerstein dies and is succeeded by Rev. Magnus Roth who publishes a book - Centenary: Holy Trinity Parish, 1847-1947.
1949

1949

Rev. Roth restores St. Roch Chapel.
1997

1997

Holy Trinity closes its doors and is deconsecrated.
1999

1999

Morgan Higby of Los Angeles purchases the building. Stained glass windows and organ are removed.
2011

2011

Dave Hurlbert and Scott King acquire the building, naming it Marigny Opera House. In November, the new “Church of the Arts” hosts the acclaimed Fringe Festival.
2013

2013

Depeche Mode films Heaven video at Marigny Opera House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7FzXLin7o
2014

2014

Marigny Opera Ballet, a resident dance company, is established.
2016

2016

The main entrance—with handicap accessible ramp— is moved to Dauphine Street. The church hosts over 60 performances of dance, classical music, jazz, musical theatre and opera.

People

Dave Hurlbert, Co-Founder and Executive Director
Scott King, Co-Founder
Bill Murray, Special Events Manager
Evan Hammond, Business Manager
Jon Perry, Technical Director

Marigny Opera House Foundation Board of Directors

Regina Wilkins, President; Scott R. King, Treasurer; Christine Robichaux, Secretary; Dave Hurlbert, Executive Director; Josephine Sacabo, Dalt Wonk, Rick Fifield, Julian Mutter, Joshua Fertitta, Diane Mack, Stephen Armbruster